Monday 8 May 2023

Twins!

Last night was quite the roller coaster of emotions for me!  Brown Ewe had been standing apart since before Curly Ewe lambed, but she was really taking her time about it.  Finally started about 6pm last night -- and she was pushing and pushing and time was going on so eventually I decided to give her a hand.  Front legs out but head wasn't coming and I started to worry and then she decided to stop pushing altogether and get up and eat some grass!  At this point I was fairly convinced that the lamb was dead and I was thinking that I needed to get the lamb out to save the ewe but I didn't know how to do that so sent Danny for the farmer next door....

...and in the length of time that it took Danny to get down there and back, she decided to start pushing again and the lamb came out and it was alive!  AND THEN, the farmer said that she thought the ewe was carrying twins and PRESTO I pulled out another lamb!!!!! 

So in the span of 20 minutes I went from thinking I had a dead lamb and possibly a dead ewe to having two healthy very alive lambs!  Woo hoo!

The white lamb in the front here is the first lamb and that little black smudge in between him and the ewe's rear legs is the second.  This photo was taken about half an hour after she finished.


24 hours on and they are both doing well -- this is the first lamb -- a ram lamb.


And this one is a GIRL!  Woo hoo!  I finally have a dark ewe lamb!!!!!  Not the world's greatest photo but you can see that her head is a sort of warmish brown shade compared to her darker black body -- I am in love!  I think she is my new favourite lamb...  :)


So that just leaves Greedy Ewe to lamb now -- fingers crossed it's soon as I think she's getting fed up with all the lambs everywhere and not having one of her own!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous comments from Aunt Lynn

Anonymous said...

Well done you......xxxx

Bridget Booker said...

The above comments were from me.....all of this anonymous shite does my ruddy head in....xxx