Saturday 20 April 2024

Lamb-a-palooza!

Following on from Black ewe kicking things off last Saturday, it has been a week of lambs!

On Monday it became evident that both Curly and Brown ewes were pretty close.

Curly had these two unassisted Tuesday afternoon...


...and the thing that has most made my week is that both of these are girls -- so I finally have an all black girl lamb!  Woo hoo!  Black sheep for the win!  :)


Brown ewe was still acting like she was going to have a lamb but by last light on Tuesday nothing had started.  I was particularly worried about her as she was the only one I had to assist last year plus the weather overnight Tuesday was wet & windy, so I prayed to the lambing gods to let her hold on until morning when I could be there...

Turns out there was no need for my concern as I went out at first light on Wednesday to find that she'd also had twins and they were dry and up on their feet!


These are both boys, so that's potentially two black tups that will be looking for new homes come autumn...

On a side note, the fact that Brown ewe was in my face the whole time I was tagging her lambs is definitely progress on the taming front -- last year, the ewes came nowhere near us when we were tagging!


So that's just Greedy left to lamb now as we didn't put Shy ewe or White ewe with Pete this year. 

Couple of interesting observations thus far:

1.  The ewes are lambing in exactly the same order as they did last year.
2.  Each of them has had one black lamb and one not black lamb.

No idea if there's any significance to either of these....

And here's Cookie -- who came out to help us with the tagging -- NOT!  :)

1 comment:

Bridget Booker said...

Well done team Sanday.