Sunday 14 April 2024

Lambing 2024 is here!

Black ewe was the first to lamb again this year, but two weeks earlier than last year (same tupping start date).  No warning at all -- on Friday evening she was acting perfectly normal.  On Saturday morning, she'd separated herself from the flock and didn't come for food.  I left her to it and came back an hour later to see this little beauty, already up and on its feet -- and then, as I was photographing them, she turned around and I saw little feet on their way -- twins!


Went away again to give her a bit of privacy and about 10 minutes later the second one was out -- and a beautiful black lamb!


They survived a horrible first night of wind and rain, but the weather is looking a bit calmer and more settled for the next week.

This morning at feeding black ewe came to the bucket and brought her twins with her -- which really amazed me as last year it was a few days after giving birth before the ewes would come to the bucket.  Hopefully this is another step forward towards the goal of friendly sheep!  :)

The mostly white lamb is a girl, and the black lamb, sadly, is another boy!  What is it with me and black tup lambs?!  I want a black ewe lamb please!  :)  But they both seem fit and healthy so that's good.


Three more ewes to go; hopefully none of them have twins or else I will have more sheep than I know what to do with!  :)

No comments: