Sunday 6 January 2008

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Not much news to report. As usual, I am going to start this year by promising to post more frequently -- we will see if it happens!

Some time ago, we bought half a pig for the freezer from our structural engineer. At the time he asked if we wanted the head as well and of course I said yes. It has languished hidden in the freezer since then, until the other day when Greg accidentally defrosted it thinking it was a leg of lamb! So we are now making brawn...

The recipe began by telling us to remove all the bristles on the head. We eventually discovered that a razor works much quicker than tweezers!

In other news, I had a small little accident in my car before Xmas on an icy patch of road and Jon has wonderfully been fixing my car for me -- so I made him this lovely apple pie -- I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

Other than that, not much really... Some rain, but what else is new? :)

6 comments:

cyndy said...

Glad you are ok after the accident!
Yikes...those icy patches can be tricky...and who wouldn't love that pie? It looks great!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Where did you get the brawn recipe? Does a little soaking in warm water get the bristles out any quicker?

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Just answered the first question by spotting the link - really must pay closer attention.

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

The brawn recipe we used was actually not the one I linked to. We used the recipe from The River Cottage Meat Book which I would highly recommend if you don't have it already. As for the bristles, it wasn't that they were hard to get out with the tweezers -- there were just so many of them!

Anonymous said...

The pie looks great. The pigs head, not so great.

June said...

Ooooooh! that rain brings back memories! Dave once thought he was getting a curry out of the freezer, he ended up with mushy peas! (he's colour blind) The moral of the story is label your packages!! Happy New Year xx