Wednesday 17 May 2006

Yn yr ardd...


So the strawberry plants are starting to flower, and we are removing the flowers (de-blossoming it's called) as the plants went in rather late and we want them to put their strength into growing, not producing flowers. I have been rather unscientifically just cutting the flowers off with a scissor -- does anybody know what the right way to do this is?


This was sunrise the other day -- I actually spend a fair amount of time taking pictures of sunsets, sunrises, fog, rain, and other such things, but most of the photos never make it here because digital cameras are crap for this kind of stuff! Long live film!


This is an odd one -- I was heading out -- the door to our porch is glass -- and thought something looked odd but couldn't work out what -- and then I realised there was a snail underside in my face on the other side of the glass! (Snails were harmed shortly after the making of this photo when I removed it from the door and killed it...)


Ah, the waterglass saga... In case you are one of the lucky people who has not had to listen to me going on about this endlessly for weeks now, this autumn I am going to attempt to preserve some of my eggs in waterglass so that I can have eggs in the winter when the hens stop laying. My friend Angela found me a lovely glazed terracotta container at the antiques place and her husband David made me a lovely wooden lid for it -- all that was left was for me to buy some waterglass to fill it with...

Started looking on the internet, as you do. Found an old news article which pointed me to a company that wanted about £50 for one litre! Went in the pharmacy in town to see if they could get me some -- nope, their supplier doesn't carry it anymore. Emailed Ascott Smallholding Supplies to inquire if they knew where I could get some and was told that it's not licensed for food use anymore -- which is NOT true -- I have an email from the Food Standards Agency saying that it is perfectly safe for food use -- and then when I emailed the guy at Ascott Smallholding Supplies back he came out with all sorts ofirrelevantt crap... And finally I found a pottery supply company who has sold me what I estimate is enough waterglass for about three years for under £20... I think I will start putting eggs in it in August or September so watch this space for further details.


...apple blossoms...


...pretty pink flowers...


I think this is the clematis at it's best -- it has been raining rather hard for several hours now and it is losing petals...


...odd looking rhubarb flowers...


...and the dreaded aphids... 500 lacewing larvae are presently on their way so these aphids should be eaten by the weekend... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember When boiling eggs preserved this way, it is well advised to pin-prick the egg to allow steam to escape because the shell is no longer porous.