Wednesday 18 July 2007

Mae hi'n wedi bod heulog heddiw!

Lots of tomatoes but still all green...

...unless this one is starting to ripen? I can't tell if it's just my imagination or if it really is!

Talley Fun Day was last Saturday, and they put down a load of wood chips to stop the grounds of the Abbey becoming mud. In exchange for a donation to the school, we are now the proud owners of a giant pile of used wood chips! This photo shows the pile AFTER I finished putting wood chips around all the fruit trees & bushes...


They make the garden look vaguely tidy! :)

I spotted this little one when doing my daily slug slaughter -- is it a lizard???

We've got two plum trees on the property that pre-date us -- the summer we first saw the house (2004) they had plums on but there have never been any since -- until now!

And the rhubarb is establishing itself well:

Also -- in exciting news -- I sent Cyndy some of the wool from the ram lamb some time ago and she has spun it now so if you want to see what Balwen yarn looks like...

7 comments:

Artis-Anne said...

Just popped over from Cyndy's blog re the Balwen fleece and its great to see it spun up.
I think that is a Newt that you have there , do you have a pond or stream nearby ?
Mi ydym eisia yr haul i fyny yma yn y Gorllewin hefyd :)

cyndy said...

I agree, it must be a newt or a salamander of sorts!

Hooray for the plums!! Oh yummy!

The yarn will be making its way over the ocean in the next few days. Anxious to hear what you think when you get your hands on it!

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

Sa i'n gallu helpu gyda'r haul, ond ydy, mae nant a pwll gyda ni! Bwlchyrhyd yw'r enw ein tŷ ni -- "the gap [in the stream] where the ford is"... Wrth gwrs, nawr mae e'n culvert dan y fordd...!

Anonymous said...

It's a smooth newt (Triturus vulgaris), nice find.

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

Jimmy -- didn't even think of asking you! Doh! Is it at all rare or anything?

Anonymous said...

I suspect it to be relativey common (but uncommonly seen) in good quality habitat. But I don't really know much of western Europe amphibians, so that's just a guess.

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

I actually saw a second (littler) one on Saturday -- but didn't have camera to hand -- so perhaps I have a breeding colony of them here or something!